Following a large hailstorm, Colorado becomes a target for fly-by-night roofers (often called “Chuck in a Truck”). The good news is these salespeople are easy to identify as they knock door-to-door, offer quick repairs at inexpensive rates, typically lack a professional online presence, and have no proof of insurance, licensing, or bonding.
Don’t be fooled by a door-to-door scam. Call Metro City Roofing first if you experience storm damage in Colorado for your new roof replacement or roof restoration needs.
The Definition of “Chuck in a Truck”
When you are ready to spend your hard-earned money for home improvement, whether it’s a home remodel, home maintenance, roof repair, or a new roof replacement, it’s essential to find the right company to complete it. There’s a common phrase in the roofing industry called “Chuck in a Truck,” and the many homeowner nightmares that result from hiring him.
Here are 13 warning signs that your roofing contractor may turn out to be a “Chuck in a Truck”:
- Arrives late for a scheduled appointment without any advance call
- Company has no permanent physical office location or at least one in Colorado. By office, we mean a real place you can visit – not an address at a coworking space or virtual office.
- Lacks General Liability insurance
- Lacks Worker’s Compensation insurance and advises company is exempt
- Contract has little or no detail
- Asks for a substantial down payment once you sign a contract before beginning any work or ordering materials
- Tells you a permit is not required
- Does not provide a construction schedule
- No history when you research the company online
- The roofing company has no website
- You cannot find his contractor license on your local county’s website
- Unwilling to provide references or photos of past work
- Has an out of state license plate, and you get the sense he’s a storm chaser
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”Benjamin Franklin
Selecting the Right Roofer
The following lists numerous options to protect yourself against a fraudulent roofing contractor.
- Search for an established, licensed, and insured local contractor with a federal tax identification number and a permanent address. The roofing contractor’s office address should be one you could visit, not a month-to-month coworking space.
- Ask your contractor for its license number and confirm the accuracy and current standing with your city or county building department. Any reputable roofing company would be proud to share this information with you.
- Validate the roofing contractor is legally registered to conduct business in Colorado at https://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do
- Beware of any roofing contractor who knocks on your door following a storm. Many legitimate roofing contractors do not conduct business this way.
- Research the roofing contractor with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints filed against the company you are considering hiring – http://www.bbb.org/denver
- Request references (and check them) from previous customers. A quality roofing professional will be proud to provide references.
- Research the roofing company’s online reviews and testimonials. While many companies lean towards Google as the default for online reviews, you can check with the Better Business Bureau, HomeAdvisor, and more.
- Ask your roofing contractor to review with you any documents to be sent to your insurance company
- Validate your roofing contractor completes all work before making payment in full
- Avoid pressure to sign a contract immediately, and ask your roofing contractor to review it in detail with you
- Make sure the contract includes the scope of work and roofing products to be used, including manufacturer, approximate dates of service, and a statement that allows the property owner to cancel the contract if the insurance claim is denied in whole or in part within 72 hours.
Are you looking for the best Denver roofing company?
Metro City Roofing is the #1 roofing contractor recommended by local insurance agents across the Front Range.Request free roof inspection
Why Choose Metro City Roofing?
Metro City Roofing is a Colorado roofing company headquartered in Denver, CO, with offices in Denver and Colorado Springs. We specialize in hassle-free professional roofing and will treat your home like our own.
We deliver the best professional roofing services across the entire Front Range from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs. We are proud of the excellent reputation we've earned, with outstanding customer satisfaction, one roof, and one customer at a time.REQUEST FREE ROOF INSPECTION