Metal Roofing Pros and Cons
May 26, 2020
When it comes time for a roof replacement, as a homeowner or building owner you have many roofing material options of which to choose, and your selection will be partly affected by your roof’s pitch – whether you have a low-slope (often referred to as a flat roof) or steep-slope roof. Steep-slope types of materials include asphalt roofing shingles, wood shakes, tile (concrete, clay, and slate), and metal roofing products.
Metal roofing has become very popular in recent years in both commercial and residential roofing, so you may consider it for your own roof. There are some key advantages to a metal roof, including longer expected lifespan, less maintenance, and high energy efficiency (saving you on heating and cooling costs).
There are two types of metal roofing – metal panels and metal shingles. A metal roof panel is an interlocking metal sheet with a minimum installed weather exposure of 3 square feet. A metal shingle, by contrast, has an installed weather exposure less than 3 square feet.
Both must be installed to meet International Business Code (IBC) and local code standards. A steep slope roof is defined as a roof slope greater than 2 units vertical in 12 units horizontal (a 17-percent slope). Thus, metal roofing will not be an option for every roof as metal roofing has its own minimum slope requirements. As an example, the minimum deck slope for metal shingles is three units vertical in 12 units horizontal (a 25-percent slope).
Code requirements for metal roofing installation dictate that metal panel roof coverings shall be applied to a solid or closely fitted deck (also known as sheathing). And, metal roof panels must be secured to the supports in accordance with the approved manufacturer’s fasteners.To aid in your decision-making process, the following are some of the pros and cons of metal roofing for your home or business.
Pros of Metal Roofing
- Highly Durable. Metal roofing is among the sturdiest roofing materials. Even in severe weather like a hailstorm, metal roofing is not easily damaged with denting from hailstones. Unlike asphalt shingles roofs, metal roofs are much less prone to sustaining damage from natural elements. This means fewer roof repairs and maintenance as a home or building owner.
- Energy Efficiency. Metal roofing is also among the highest-rated in energy efficiency and can save up to 40% in energy savings on average. The reason metal roofing is so energy efficient is that it provides very good insulation in winter months. During warmer months, the roof reflects more of the sun’s rays, helping keep your home cooler, saving you on heating and cooling costs.
- Long Lasting. Compared to other roof types, metal roofing materials can last significantly longer than traditional asphalt shingles. Whereas an asphalt shingle roof is expected to last around 20 years, a metal roof can easily last up to 50 years or more with proper maintenance.
- Improved Safety. Metal roofs are not susceptible to fire damage. Whereas other roof types could catch fire from a lightning strike as an example, metal roofs do not. In geographic locations where wildfires or severe weather is more common, having a metal roof can make your home much safer from fire damage. Metal roofing has a Class A fire resistance classification.
- Available in Many Paint Finishes and Color Options. Manufacturers offer a variety of different designs and color options. While they will not have every color match, you should be able to find the paint finish and color option you like.
- Friendly to the Environment. When a metal roof has reached the end of its lifespan, the roof can be completely recycled – eliminating waste and the need to use more natural resources. In fact, many new metal roofs are made from recycled material. On the alternative, shingle roofs are not reusable and generally discarded as waste products.
Cons of Metal Roofing
- Cost. Probably the biggest drawback to metal roofing is the cost. Compared to other roofing options, metal roofing ranks near the bottom in terms of affordability. However, because of the durability and expected lifespan, you may save more in the long run by investing in a metal roof because of reduced maintenance and repair costs.
- Susceptible to Rust. Like most types of metal, metal roofs can take on damage by means of rusting from water. There are special coatings that can be applied to a metal roof that can make it less likely to rust or as much, so you will want to be sure this special coating is applied if you decide on a metal roof.
- Metal Roofs Expand and Contract. During warmer months, metal roofs tend to expand with heat. Alternatively, metal roofs tend to contract when the weather is colder. The reason this can be problematic is that over time this movement can cause panels to become loose, potentially causing other types of damage to your roof. While new metal roofing systems are designed to combat this contraction and expansion, it is a factor to consider as part of the vulnerabilities of a metal roof.
Why Metro City Roofing?
If you have any questions about metal roofing or are considering one for your home or business, contact the professional roofers at Metro City Roofing. We offer many different metal roofing system options to meet your needs.
Metro City Roofing is a full service, licensed, and insured roofing contractor – and only do business in the State of Colorado. We are leaders in the roofing industry that specialize in roof replacement, restoration, and roof repairs, no matter the type of roof, and strive to deliver hassle-free, outstanding customer service.
We are local, family-owned, and operated and live year-round in the same Colorado community as you, unlike many other roofing companies that temporarily relocate to storm locations.
We are staffed by state-licensed independent adjusters who have inspected and completed roofing renovations for hundreds of satisfied owners. We provide you with a single point of contact throughout your roofing project and return all phone calls within 24 hours.
Metro City Roofing is your hassle-free answer to professional roofing services – residential roof replacement, commercial roof replacement, restoration, and roof repair. We are hail damage and wind damage roofing experts and have perfected the insurance claim and roof restoration process. Our professional roofing services staff will represent you during all interactions with your insurance company, settling your hail or wind insurance claim directly, including possible code-related requirements, to ensure that you receive all funds owed to you.
We will complete your roof replacement or restoration promptly, using high-quality roofing materials, with expert installation and project management.
Metro City Roofing is a professional roofing company that will provide the right product for your home or business. We are experts in all forms of new roof materials.
Our roof installers are certified, fully insured, and committed to delivering high-quality craftsmanship.
We install the highest-quality roofing materials and aim for your complete satisfaction at every stage of the roof replacement process. We approach every roofing project like it is our own home.