Avoid “Chuck in a Truck”
June 29, 2020
Metro City Roofing – your Colorado professional roofing company.
Following a large hailstorm, Colorado becomes a target for fly-by-night roofers (we call them “Chuck in a truck”). The good news is these salespeople are easy to identify as they knock door-to-door, offer quick repairs at inexpensive rates, typically lack a professional online presence, and have no proof of insurance, licensing, or bonding.
Don’t be fooled by a door-to-door scam. Call Metro City Roofing first if you experience storm damage in Colorado for your new roof replacement or roof restoration needs.
The Definition of “Chuck in a Truck”
When you are ready to spend your hard-earned money for home improvement, whether it’s a home remodel, home maintenance, or roof repair or a new roof replacement, it’s essential to find the right company to complete it. In the roofing industry, there’s a common phrase we use called, “Chuck in a truck,” and the many homeowner nightmares that result from hiring him.
Here are some warning signs that your roofing contractor may turn out to be a “Chuck in a truck”:
- Arrives late for a scheduled appointment without any advance call
- His company has no permanent, physical office location or at least one in Colorado. By office, we mean a real place you can visit – not an address at a coworking space or virtual office.
- Lacks General Liability insurance
- Lacks Worker’s Compensation insurance and advises his company is exempt
- His contract has little or no detail
- Asks for a substantial down payment once you sign a contract before beginning any work or ordering materials
- Tells you a permit is not required
- Does not provide a construction schedule
- When you research the company online, there is no history
- The roofing company has no website
- You cannot find his contractor license on your local county’s website
- He is unwilling to provide references or photos of past work
- Has an out of state license plate and you get the sense he’s a storm chaser
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” – Benjamin Franklin
If you feel lucky, then roll the dice. Chances are, the odds are against you.
Selecting the Right Roofer
The following lists numerous options to protect yourself against a fraudulent roofing contractor.
- Search for an established, licensed, and insured local contractor with a federal tax identification number and a permanent address. The roofing contractor’s office address should be one you could visit, not a month-to-month coworking space.
- Ask your contractor for its license number and confirm the accuracy and current standing with your city or county building department. Any reputable roofing company would be proud to share this information with you.
- Validate the roofing contractor is legally registered to conduct business in Colorado at https://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do
- Beware of any roofing contractor who knocks on your door following a storm. Many legitimate roofing contractors do not conduct business this way.
- Research the roofing contractor with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints filed against the company you are considering hiring – http://www.bbb.org/denver
- Request references (and check them) from previous customers. A quality roofing professional will be proud to provide references.
- Research the roofing company’s online reviews and testimonials. While many companies lean towards Google as the default for online reviews, you can check with the Better Business Bureau, HomeAdvisor, and more.
- Ask your roofing contractor to review with you any documents to be sent to your insurance company
- Validate your roofing contractor completes all work before making payment in full
- Avoid pressure to sign a contract immediately, and ask your roofing contractor to review it in detail with you
- Make sure the contract includes the scope of work and roofing products to be used, including manufacturer, and approximate dates of service, and a statement that allows the property owner to cancel the contract if the insurance claim is denied in whole or in part within 72 hours.
For your new roof replacement or roof restoration needs in Colorado, contact Metro City Roofing.
Metro City Roofing – Continuous Focus on Superior Credentials
Metro City Roofing is a proud member of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) and the Colorado Roofing Association (CRA). As part of our membership, we focus on safety and staying current with safety regulations.
We are also certified with the International Code Council (ICC). Roofing ICC certification companies have completed rigorous national standardized testing on roofing code requirements and safety regulations.
All our sales and project management staff are licensed independent adjusters and have earned the All Lines Adjuster License. A contractor who possesses the All Lines Adjuster License must complete extensive studies and pass a test to become licensed. This license includes property and casualty for residential, commercial, automobile, farm & ranch, inland marine, ocean marine, and Workers’ Compensation. Earning this license certifies that an individual can handle many insurance lines and genuinely represent the most comprehensive license available. We can best inspect and assess damages, with the same lens that your insurance adjuster will.
Metro City Roofing is involved in our local Colorado community. We are active members with numerous Colorado Chambers of Commerce, including Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, and many more.
Why Metro City Roofing?
Metro City Roofing is your hassle-free answer to professional roofing services – residential roofing, commercial roofing, restoration, and roof repair. We are hail damage and wind damage roofing experts and have perfected the insurance claim and roof restoration process. Our staff is state-licensed independent adjusters, which allows us to evaluate your property with the same lens as an insurance adjuster. Our professional roofing services staff will settle your hail or wind insurance claim directly, including possible code-related requirements, to ensure that you receive all funds owed to you.
Metro City Roofing provides the best professional roofing services in metro Denver and across the Front Range. We install the highest-quality roofing materials and aim for your complete satisfaction at every stage of the roof replacement process. As a professional roofer, we aim to deliver outstanding customer services and approach every roofing project we manage like it is our own home.
We are experts in all types of roofing systems, including asphalt shingle roofs, metal roofing (standing seam, metal shingles), wood shakes and wood shingles, tile roofs (slate tiles, concrete tiles, clay tiles, synthetic tiles), and flat roof materials (modified bitumen, TPO, EPDM), and more.
We are family-owned and operated and live year-round in the same Colorado community as you
We continually strive to differentiate from our competitors in the following ways:
- Licensed inspectors who inspect your roof and property with the lens of an insurance adjuster; all commercial roof inspections include an evaluation with an infrared camera
- Professional insurance claims experts who settle your hail damage or wind damage claim successfully
- Expert sales representatives who help customers select the best roof for their home or business
- Quality project managers who provide expert supervision on every roofing project
- Experienced roof installers who are certified, fully insured and committed to delivering highquality craftsmanship and using the best products
- Long-term warranties that cover roof material and quality and are backed by manufacturers